Sunday, September 30, 2007

Speech Delivered at the Rally on September 29th

My name is Adam Kokesh and I am a member of Iraq Veterans Against the War. I am against this war because it is bad for America. It is bad for our security. It is bad for our national defense. It is bad for our ability to fight terrorism. It is bad for our stature abroad. It is bad for our military. And it is bad for our brothers and sisters who continue to lose their lives every day for a lie.

Recently, Congress, as in this Congress, as in OUR Congress, passed a resolution censuring MoveOn.org. What have we allowed our government to become? With all the problems facing America, they have chosen to spend more time silencing war critics than stopping the war! It’s no surprise that their duty to uphold the Constitution and impeach would be “a distraction” and a “waste of time.”

However, all power ultimately rests with the people and the people will get the government they deserve. America, we should not be ashamed of our government, we should be ashamed of ourselves. If you have come here to feel good about yourself so that tonight you can go get drunk, and tomorrow you can go back to your television, and Monday you can go back to work like nothing is wrong, you should be ashamed!

This is a war based on lies and the least you can do is help spread the truth. A third of Americans still believe that Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9-11. One third of America is not hiding in cabins in the mountains; these are people you know! Share the truth with those considering joining the military. Join with Iraq Veterans Against the War in our Truth In Recruiting campaign.

I’m not so mad that I was lied to, as I am that I cannot trust my government any more. It astounds me that yet so many Americans want more than anything to trust our government. When will we wake up, and realize that the power of the truth is greater than any force brought to bear by any Army ever fielded?

They have referred to this movement of the people as “the surrender lobby.” But it is those who still blindly follow this inept President that have surrendered to lies, oppression, war crimes, torture, and the sacrifice of their civil liberties on the altar of American imperialism!

Well, the Marine Corps taught me too well. I do not know how to surrender. We cannot surrender. We will not surrender. It is time the people stop fearing the government, and the government starts fearing the people. When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty! Power to the people!

3 comments:

jae said...

Sgt Kokesh asked:

"What have we allowed our government to become?"

It is the sad reality that most Americans don't care much about politics. Since the media stopped doing their job of keeping the average American informed of what the government is up to, the genergal public found other things to occupy their time. If you add lack of knowledge to the stress of trying to maintain a job to support a family, then you are running on overload.

"With all the problems facing America, they have chosen to spend more time silencing war critics than stopping the war!"

I read and sent along an excellent article from The Guardian (A UK Paper) by Naomi Wolfe. It is called "Fascist America, in 10 easy steps". I suggest anyone reading this post check it out. It can be found here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2064157,00.html

"The people will get the government they deserve."

Yes indeed they do, Sgt. Kokesh.


"we should be ashamed of ourselves."

This will get you plenty of fire from the 'Anti-Blame-America-First' crowd.

And I am ashamed. When the US invaded Iraq, I was ashamed to be American. When the US government stood by and watched most of the population of New Orleans lose everything they had because most of the people affected were black, I was ashamed to be white.

Now that the US will seemingly not stop their mad grab for power and control of the entire planet, I am ashamed to be human.

"If you have come here to feel good about yourself so that tonight you can go get drunk, and tomorrow you can go back to your television, and Monday you can go back to work like nothing is wrong, you should be ashamed!"

Does it help that I am not an activist so I can feel good about myself, but I will be getting drunk, watching tv (comedy central gives me comfort) and going back to work on Monday (I am in the Renewable Energy business)...?

"This is a war based on lies and the least you can do is help spread the truth."

I try to do my share. My FIRST concern is with the people who are in the thick of it. Visit
http://blog.myspace.com/firstjaesea
to see what I do.

"I’m not so mad that I was lied to, as I am that I cannot trust my government any more."

I used to think this was the greatest country in the world. The humaintarian efforts, the Peace Corp, the programs to help the poor....


"I do not know how to surrender."

I admire your courage and fortitude. I hope that it helps you to know that you have me behind you 100%.

"Power to the people!"

Power To The Peaceful!

Anonymous said...

"If you have come here to feel good about yourself so that tonight you can go get drunk, and tomorrow you can go back to your television, and Monday you can go back to work like nothing is wrong, you should be ashamed!"

I go to protests to be part of the numbers engaging in peaceful dissent, which is exactly what the First Amendment envisions. I also go out to bars and I also watch television and I also go to work every day. I don't lobby for peace on the Hill. I spend my free time working one-on-one with a 16-year-old boy who witnessed his 17-year-old brother's murder last year, and I do my best to help him not be next. And I'm not ashamed of myself.

I guess my point is that that statement is a little unfair, and this is coming from one of your supporters. Not all of us can be full-time peace activists. Does that mean we think that nothing's wrong? Of course not. It's not okay that we ever invaded Iraq. It's not okay that this administration has made it a practice of trampling all over our civil rights. It's also not okay that the teenaged boy that I work with won't ride the bus here in DC because he's afraid of getting killed.

We all want to make the world a better place. With so many problems in the world, we all just have to get in where we fit in.

Anok said...

Sgt Kokesh, I have been reading your blog, and following you when you make waves (nice job getting yourself arrested for postering a flier, that brouhaha has really woken some people up!)

I posted your speech on my blog as well as a host of videos from the Sept 15th march. If there are more videos that I haven't put up yet, or videos you would like to see included in that list please let me know, I will post them as I find them or receive them.

You are doing a great a job getting the word out, and just so you know, my husband is also an Iraq Veteran Against the War. Although he is not with your group specifically he definitely is with you in mind and spirit.

Keep up the good work, and please, post more about the following days after Sept 15th! I'm still looking around to find out what else happened!